Monday, December 12, 2016

Reaction To Digital Humanities Exhibits

The first exhibit that I had focused on was created by Michaela Fapore. The name of this exhibit was Women In Video Games. For her exhibit she had created a type of powerpoint. From working through the powerpoint I had learned a lot about how women are portrayed in video games. Personally, I do not play video games often. So reading these facts such as how only 2 of the top 20 video games in the United States feature a woman on the cover surprised me. Michaela also talked about empathy studies such as how adolescents whose favorite video game was violent had scored low on empathy scales. After I had finished working through this powerpoint, I felt as though I had learned a lot about how poorly women are portrayed in video games and how video game developers portray them in that way because if the woman in the game was a solider, boys would not find it believable.
The second exhibit that I had looked at was created by Amanda Deasy and was called Video Games: Bringing Social Awareness. The main idea of her exhibit was about answering the question, "Can digital games make users more socially aware". Amanda had focused on 3 video games that share a bigger picture, which it portraying a current social issue. The first game she had talked about was a game that we had talked about in class, Dragon Cancer. This game is about a boy who has pediatric cancer. The second game was named Papo y Yo which focused on child abuse. Lastly, her third example was Depression Quest which had the social issue of depression. I enjoyed working through this exhibit because it was nice to learn about video games that aren't just about violence. These games are about social issues that still give you a fun experience while playing the game. After reading about these three games that Amanda had mentioned, it makes me want to learn more about them and eventually play these games.

No comments:

Post a Comment