Thursday, December 8, 2016

Reactions to DH Exhibits- Jacob

No Man's Sky and Procedural Generation (Devin Vickroy)
This exhibit focused on the video game "No Man's Sky", and how it uses procedural generation. The only form of procedural generation I have witnessed in video games is Minecraft map generation. As an Xbox gamer, I have had no interest in No Man's Sky, as I viewed it as Minecraft set in space (In fact, I secretly wished the game would be a failure, which as of right now, seems to be the case). The good screenshot selection did convince me that I was viewing the game incorrectly, as I saw a good deal of variety in vegetation/flori, as well as animals and terrain. I did also feel like this game would only be worth getting at launch, given it has the ability to "discover" a planet. This presentation was generally effective, though I would like to have seen a few more examples (I.E. Left 4 Dead director AI placing items for good pacing, spawning hordes and witches for those taking too much time).


Video Games Good for You (Kiersten Worthy)
This presentation focused on the benefits of video games. I really liked how the author did a good job with research and bringing up examples. I really loved the one with "Minecraft" and children on the ASD (Autism Spectrum). I and a little brother are both on the high functioning end of the ASD, and even though I do not play Minecraft nearly as much as my little brother, we both find it a fun game to play together and to talk about (such as moments where he is trading with villagers and I am preparing an ambush on the village), and after he played Minecraft, I noticed that he became increasingly social. "That Dragon Cancer" was also mentioned, which was a game about dealing with a child who had cancer. I have not played this, but I like the concept as a coping mechanism of sorts. There was also a mention of virtual reality technology (did not mention video games specifically) helping out veterans with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). I was rather shocked at the way this was presented, since I assume that most heroes of war jump to the assumption that these sort of media desensitize us to war, but it appeared to have actually helped veterans cope with PTSD. Ultimately, I feel like this presentation was very well done.


-Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment