Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Video games and violence

The full piece may be found here

This piece will discuss my opinion on video game violence and if it can cause violence in real life. The things I go over include: A movie, Violence for fun, Violence as a plot device, Violence as a shock factor, my temper, video games and mass shootings, common video games, and me concluding with my thoughts.

In this post, I tried to include more than my usual amount of links and images, so that it felt a bit more expanded, and when I checked the length, it had a little over 10 pages worth of material, and above 2000 words, so I feel like I have plenty of material in it. The only thing that I feel is a problem is that most of the material I cited were news stories and the games themselves (believe it or not, there is actually a way to cite software (I did not cite it by hand! I used EasyBib, which does the grunt-work of making citations for you!)). I did however find "Grand Theft Childhood" by Cheryl Kutner and Lawrence Olson to be of great use, where a study from 2006 was discussing points like why kids play video games and what video games they play (I did not cite it very much in this paper, but used it liberally in several other papers talking about the same issue). As I look over the paper, one thing I do realize is that the part of violence in real life is an afterthought. Even so, I hope that you enjoy viewing this piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment