Friday, November 18, 2016

Text Mining

Michaela
To find out what the common trends were in the latest posts in our blog, we copied all of our blog posts into Voyant, which is a program that will pull out the most used words, and figured out which words we used the most in our individual posts regarding social media, as well as all of our posts as a whole. My individual results largely represented the results of our entire group. To the right is an image that shows my most used words, which were media, social, virtual, and identity. Virtual and identity were tied for third.





Dylan
When I used Voyant to inspect my blog post on social media, it showed me a lot. Voyant showed me that, when I am talking about a certain topic, I tend to say the topics name a lot. For example as you can see through my link, I use the words social, and media a lot throughout my 474 total word post. I believe that Voyant is very helpful because it shows you what you are saying, and if you are repeating yourself. It helped me out in this post, because it really showed me in my writing that I was getting the point of social media across.

Corpus2.PNG

Jacob

When I created a corpus (or text examination) of my recent blog post about personalities online, this is what I found. As I had predicted, I had different results than my teammates, with my most common words being:
Like (10)
Just/Online/Personality/Things (6)

This was no surprise to me because I have a different writing style than my teammates. I prefer to write long example posts, while my teammates prefer to write shorter examination posts (which holds true for several of our group posts as well, which I usually write afterthoughts on the topic). I took a conversational approach to this post and my corpus ends up with little matches to my teammates’ corpus. I found it interesting that I incorrectly predicted my corpus, but I am pleasantly surprised by the results.
Corpus.PNG

Angelina
Just as my tribe members had done, I used the website Voyant to see what the common trends were for my most recent blog post about Social Media. By copying my blog post into this website, I was able to find things such as my most used words which were media, social, identity, virtual, and post. These top five words represent my blog post well because it was about social media and our virtual identities that are created through them. The photo below was captured from Voyant. All of the words in the photo were used in my most recent blog post, however, the words that are larger in size are the words that were most used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment